August 26th, 2016
Regardless of your culinary skills, every cook needs a well-stocked spice cabinet. When you walk down the spice aisle at your local grocery store, it almost becomes overwhelming with how many options are available. We wanted to make it easy for you and have compiled a spice checklist of the 11 most commonly used spices in cooking and/or baking to help you get your spice rack properly stocked.
Bay Leaves: Great in soups, stews and marinades. Just be sure to remove before serving.
Black Peppercorns: Adds extra flavor to any dish.
Cayenne Pepper: Works well in Cajun and Indian recipes for an extra kick.
Chili Powder: Perfect for Mexican and Southern dishes.
Cinnamon (ground): Used often in baking.
Cloves (ground): Commonly used in baking around the holidays.
Cumin (ground): Popular in curries and used to make Indian and Middle Eastern dishes.
Kosher salt: Great in just about everything from cooking to baking.
Nutmeg: Commonly used in the fall and winter.
Oregano (dried): Perfect for Cajun, Mediterranean, Italian and South American Cooking.
Paprika: Used to garnish deviled eggs and potato salads or in soups, on poultry and more.
Products We Love:
Revolving Stainless Steel Spice Rack
Counter Top Spice Organizer
Endurance Stainless Spice Measuring Spoons
July 29th, 2016
Getting your kids in the kitchen at a young age can be a tasty and educational experience. Children will develop reading and math skills as they read directions and learn to properly measure ingredients. Not to mention, if your child is a picky eater the exploration of new foods may make them more willing to try something different. This test tube spice rack and beaker measuring set would be a lot of fun for a child, and gives you the opportunity to make cooking a science experiment.
Here are five ways to get started cooking with your kids:
1. Plan your way to fun. Invite your child to pick a recipe they would like to try. Have them find all the ingredients, so they are part of the entire recipe preparation.
2. Always supervise. This is very important; while you want to get your kids involved they should not be running an oven or stove on their own. Also, be sure to remove sharp objects from their reach to prevent kitchen mishaps.
3. Practice math skills. Have your child count and help measure the ingredients to start building math skills at a young age.
4. Introduce new foods. If you have a picky eater who doesn’t like eating fruit you could find a fun recipe for fruit pizza, and create a funny face using the fruit.
5. Keep it simple. If you are cooking with a preschooler don’t try and find an elaborate recipe, you can make simple sandwiches and then cut them with cookie cutters into fun shapes.
February 27th, 2016
Every once in a while I find something so spectacular and unique, it just has to be shared! And this is one of those times.
During my research, I came across this beautiful olive wood pepper mill.
A pepper mill allows you to grind peppercorns by hand for a fresh, spicy addition to your meals. There are many different styles, models and makes, but there are a few things you should be on the look out for when purchasing a new pepper mill. They are:
- Sturdiness: You want to find a grinder that has a strong build with an easy-to-grip body. Constructed from premium solid olive wood, this grinder is designed to be long-lasting and survive the busy environment of any home kitchen. The simple, sleek body is easy to grip and features a stainless steel median for grasping.
- Simplicity: Decide what kind of use is best for you. A simple twist-to-grind manual design may work for some, but others may require an electric design that reduces stress on joints or aching arthritis. This standard grinder is perfect for general use.
- Durable mechanism: The inside mechanism is the most important part of the grinder. You want to make sure you are getting a grinder that features quality mechanisms that will not rust or corrode. This olive wood grinder features ceramic mechanisms, the best you can get because ceramic is resistant to wear like rust or corrosion.
- Consistency: Your pepper mill needs to produce the same consistent quality every time you use it, too. This olive wood grinder is designed with an adjustable dial that allows you to set the mechanisms at your preferred coarseness. That way, peppercorns will grind exactly the way you want then to every time!
This beautiful olive wood pepper mill is just as much of a decorative accent piece as it is an efficient kitchen gadget. Olive wood is known for it’s strength, but also for it’s natural variations in color and grain that together produce completely unique and one-of-a-kind pieces.
Olive wood will darken over time, creating a rich color. To best preserve the beauty of this unique wood, rub the outside with food-safe mineral oil on occasion. The oil will restore it’s color while preserving it’s quality.
February 4th, 2016
This Valentine’s Day, why not surprise your sweet with something sweet? Breakfast in bed is a simple gesture that can say so much more than tired roses or a cheap box of chocolates. Putting the time and effort into baking something for your Valentine is sure to make them yours for another year.
Since we like to spice things up here at Spice Racks Blog, we couldn’t think anything better than some gooey cinnamon rolls to woo your special someones taste buds. These spicey-sweet confections are perfect for him, her or the whole family.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake rolls for 20 minutes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (room temp)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 7 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 12 tbs softened unsalted butter
- 2 cup + 2 tbs packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tbs cinnamon
- 4 tbs cornstarch
Directions: Heat water and cream in the microwave then add yeast and sugar; allow to sit for about ten minutes. Warm buttermilk in a separate bowl and then add to the yeast mixture. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, oil, butter and eggs. Combine the two mixtures in a counter-top mixer and mix with a dough hook. Add flour gradually and allow mixture to combine for three minutes. Remove bowl from mixer, cover with a towel and allow to rise for two hours.
Roll dough out in an even rectangle on counter top. Spread softened butter over the dough. Combine remaining filling ingredients and spread evenly over buttered dough. Roll dough into a log and slice into desired thickness. Take rolls, place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake. Rolls done when tops brown. Remove rolls from over and allow to cool.
Cinnamon rolls can be frosted as desired. I prefer a simple icing of butter, powdered sugar and milk (maybe a little vanilla extract, too). But some opt for cream cheese frosting.
Learn more at OrganizeIt.com, Organization-Store.com or StacksandStacks.com.
January 7th, 2016
Have you made your resolutions? Let me guess… hit the gym, diet and maybe drink less? Everyone always narrows in on weight loss when the new year comes. This year I have the same plan, only my resolution involves eating tastier meals, no blander ones.
There are many spices and herbs that have been celebrated for their weight loss properties. Many common spices promote a faster metabolism, curb appetite and burn fat. Using more spices in your diet instead of oils, sugar, salt or fat can cut out empty calories while maintaining flavor. Flavor is important because it will keep you interested in eating better and keep you on track with your diet.
Try these spices to keep your healthy meals satisfying:
- Cayenne Pepper
- Mustard Seeds
- Black Pepper
Other diet necessities
There are other simple steps you can take to benefit your diet without compromising flavor or satisfaction. A kitchen scale will help you portion your meals and help control calorie intake. And of course there’s always the trusty bathroom scale; If you’re exercising correctly, the weight in muscle you gain could throw off the number on the scale, but weighing yourself daily could help you lose weight. Always knowing where you are in regards to your goal weight will keep you motivated to make the right decisions come meal time.